05 January, 2010

Side Step...Fear and 2012

It has come to my attention that 2012 is striking fear into some people. It reared its head a while back while working. I was listening to Weekend All Things Considered, a news program we run at 90.5 WDUQ. They were conducting an interview with the Director of NASA. He began talking about emails he got from random people, asking about 2012.

It is thought, as I am certain most of you know, that 2012 will see the world end. This is due to the fact that the Mayan calendar is ending, and there is not another Mayan calendar. All forms of disaster are predicted for this event.

Some of the emails he had gotten chilled me. Some people were asking him when to commit suicide among other insanities. Hearing this made me wonder about how and why anyone would think that.

Pondering the problem, I began talking to people and searching the Internet. I suddenly came to a simple conclusion.

There is loads on the subject. And I mean loads.

Some of it, I found to my dismay was plain poppycock. Some of it actually was truthful. Some of it made me wonder seriously about the loss of brain cells due to questionable activity.

Here's the short of it all. Yes, the Mayan calendar ends in 2012. yes there is no more calendars to follow it. No, there are still followers of the Mayan faith and history, and they see no need to make a new one. Yes the Mayan calendar has ended before. The world did not end then either, unless I am living one serious delusion.

In short, don't panic. Nothing is going to happen. We will be fine, and the world will continue spinning on it's merry little way round the Sun.

Although if I happen to be wrong, no one is going to be able to say 'I told you so'.

No comments:

Post a Comment